The 2nd Annual Paws for Peace Walk is the premier event of the Paws Campaign. Just under a mile’s length, the Walk is a fun and leisurely stroll for families, friends and animal lovers alike.
Following the walk, there will be a festival packed with games, music, a magician, dog agility show, and many more fun activities! All dollars raised will go towards the construction and ongoing operations of the Harbor House’s Paws Kennel and awareness for the link between animal abuse and domestic abuse.
Saturday, November 5, 2011
Blue Jacket Park
2501 General Rees Avenue, Orlando, Florida
8:00 am – Registration Begins – Arrive Early!
8:45 am – Welcome
9:00 am – Walk Begins & Festival to Follow
12:00pm – Awards Ceremony & Close
Why a Paws Kennel?
- 48% of domestic violence survivors delay leaving an abusive home because they don’t have a safe place for their pets.
- Pet abuse is often a retaliatory action of abusers. Animals are used as leverage by the batterer as a means to control their victims or as part of a pre-emptive strike to gain or maintain control.
- According to the American Animal Hospital Association, an estimated 88% of pets living in households with domestic violence are either abused or killed.
- Of all survivors who enter shelters to escape violence, 57% have had a pet killed by their abuser.
- Harbor House will be the only shelter in Central Florida with a kennel for pets of domestic violence survivors.
- Pets are not Pawns!