Each year, nearly a thousand domestic abuse survivors, adults and children, seek safety at Harbor House’s confidential Emergency Shelter. Taking the step to leave a batterer is the most deadly, yet brave decision a survivor can make – it often represents the difference between life and death. When survivors come to the Shelter, they rarely have more than the clothes on their back.
At the Shelter, residents not only have a safe place to sleep, they also receive daily living essentials, case management, counseling and daycare for their children, all at no cost. In addition, Survivors receive long-term support that will help keep them safe and secure throughout their journey.
But we can’t do it alone.
We invite you to become part of Purple Door Project’s goal to sponsor each family who comes through Harbor House’s door this year. Purple Door’s mission is to stop the cycle of domestic violence by ensuring that every survivor has the resources she and her children need, both in Shelter and beyond, to achieve their goals. A donation to Purple Door provides a survivor with:
- Day-to-day items such as fresh, clean linens, toiletries, and food;
- Support services, including transportation, daycare, case management and transition out of Shelter and into a safe home; and
- Long-term resources needed to thrive after Shelter life, such as employment training and outreach counseling.
The Purple Door Project saves lives today and builds better futures tomorrow.
Members of the Purple Door Project are:
- Informed when their sponsored survivor family arrives at Shelter;
- Recognized for their support on our website and newsletters;
- Given updates on how their donation is helping;
- Invited to Harbor House special events;
- Shared success stories from survivors who were sponsored.